Saturday, February 26, 2011

Loki from Belgium

Loki is a multilingual YouTuber who fancies learning languages and helping others learn them. Apparently he can speak Italian, French, Spanish, Mandarin, Japanese, Indonesian, Dutch, German, AND his native tongue, Teochew. His accent makes me think his family is definitely from Cambodia. I can tell because he uses the word "肖 siạo" to mean "like" as in "he looks like him". He has a couple of vlogs in Teochew, and this is one of them.

A couple of comments on things he says in the video:
  • dạigehòbhō [Ty: I've always said hòmò]
  • lok-ià: [Ty: So that's what he uses for "video"]
  • múiyīk [Ty: "Everyday", I pronounce it mué, and always say mué jek yīk]
  • bhūng, ghèu, uẹ [Ty: I never got the subtleties of the differences between these words, except that bhūng seems to emcompass both the written and spoken languages while the other two are spoken.]
Also, apparently this guy has more than a passing resemblance to me. It's always weird when you discover people who share the same interests and happen to look like you too. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment