Sunday, February 27, 2011

孙燕姿 Stefanie Sun Speaks Teochew!! (just a bit)

"Geme: jiat bẹung" oops, I mean "Gingme: jiat bẹung"


Stefanie Sun, or in Teochew 孙燕姿 Sung Ĭ: Jeu, is a somewhat popular Chinese pop star based mainly out of Taiwan, but originally from Singapore. The first song I heard from her was 我要的幸福 (My Desired Happiness) back in 2000. It was alright. The main reason I listened to her songs was... yes, because she is Teochew. For the longest time I was annoyed that she only sings in Mandarin, and one, yes, one freakin' song in Hokkien (just one line of the chorus in 天烏烏 Ti: Ou Ou). So finally I find this video where she says a little bit. The funniest part of the video is when the host says that phrase that people use to make fun of Teochew people (I believe he is actually speaking in Taiwanese/Hokkien):

Teochew lang ming ang ang (Teochew people, faces so red)
bangpui dua: chui gagi ang (Done a big fart, ???)

What does the last part mean? Can any commenters enlighten me? The other one I've heard is shorter:

Teochew nāng kacheung ạng āng

Does anyone now if this nasty little phrase is longer, or if there are different versions?

2 comments:

  1. bangpui dua: chui gagi ang (Done a big fart, mouth own red?)

    Teochew nāng kacheung ạng āng (Teochew people's butt red)

    ReplyDelete
  2. a loose translation to sort of make sense, might not be right
    bangpui dua: chui gagi ang
    when Teochew people make a big fart, their mouth gets red on its own?

    ReplyDelete