Sunday, May 8, 2011

Teochew Music Video from Khuntien Indonesia: "I'll Be Back To You"


Is this the Teochew Richie Ren? No, but good nonetheless - It's another song from Khuntien Indonesia. This is a sappy romantic ballad - usually not my cup of tea, but I couldn't help but post it because it's just awesome hearing Teochew, from Indonesia, no less. Plus, I can understand the lyrics - always a good sign! This really tells you about how many Teochew people there must be in Pontianak. Another reason to visit!

5 comments:

  1. What a tremendous creation!, really Cool!!!...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi.. I'm from Khuntien/Pontianak, like you said, it's a lot of Teochew people there. Khuntien is also famous of it's Chinese food in Indonesia. Try to visit at Lantern Festival (15th day after Chinese Newyear), there will a carnaval of dragon, magic, etc. Thanks..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow awsome! I am Teochew. Never realised there exist such teochew music. I was googling for teochew music.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes u're right, there are many TC in Pontianak..Indonesia is widely spoken in daily life

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I lived in Pontianak in the 70s, Teochew was the lingua franca on the Khuntien side and Hakka on the Siantan side. The two towns are separated by d Kapuas river. Having travelled around SE Asia and talking to my mainland Cina friends in North America, I realized Khuntien is special. It is special because Teochew culture and language as existed in 19th century China are very much alive and well preserved in Pontianak. The Lantern festival is a case in point. The Moon festival is another. Khuntien is special because distinctively Teochew food like is found only in Pontianak (and Chinatown in Bangkok where there are also Teochews). I love to travel back to Khuntien if there are West Coast Teochews who want to check it out.

    ReplyDelete