Sunday, May 22, 2011

Teochew Speech at Singapore Worker's Party Rally (April 28, 2011)

Found this speech by Low Thia Khiang at a Singapore Worker's Party Rally. I don't know much about Singaporean politics, but it speaks volumes that people are still holding speeches in Teochew - that means that there are still people (at least in Hougang - an area of Singapore with lots of Teochew) who can understand it, and that probably want to hear it. One might think that the Singaporean gov't might ban speeches in dialect - and force them speakers to use one of the four official languages (English, Mandarin, Malay, or Tamil... particularly English and Mandarin nowadays)... but no... interesting. On the speech itself, I rather like his Gek-io: accent... very agreeable to my ears. =)

3 comments:

  1. It used to be ban but dialects are making a comeback. I myself am looking to rediscover it. I grew up listening to diojiu but never learnt anything. It's a huge waste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear! Does the Poit-Ip Teochew Huay still hold Teochew classes? You may want to check that out if they still have it.

    ReplyDelete