Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Last Peony Petal (Thai Drama about the Teochew Experience)


Botan is a famous author from Thailand who wrote the wonderful "Letters From Thailand" (1969) a novel about the Teochew-Thai experience. I discovered this book by chance at my local library back in 2005 and after reading the book (more than 3 times now), I've always wanted to find the movie adaptation of it. Thai people love their lakorn (ละคร) or serial dramas, so I thought I would search for it online. Low and behold I just found, "The Last Peony Petal", which, according to online sources, is based on another novel by Botan (perhaps originally a book?). Amazingly the gracious Wishboniko has provided not only the whole series on YouTube, but also with English subtitles! Awesome stuff. It's all in Thai, but with a good smattering of Teochew (people's names, pronouns, occasional phrases). Enjoy! Here is the playlist so you don't go crazy looking for all the different episodes and parts of episodes. There are 13 episodes in total.

Note: The video shows the opening theme, with the beginning of episode 1 at the end. Oh and I realized of course that Botan's name is actually 牡丹 Bhóudang, or Peony.

Update (3/2/11): I have finished watching the first episode, and the story seems to be moving along quickly and focusing on the young adults. It's pretty funny - and even more Teochew spoken than I thought.

3 comments:

  1. I'm half way through and it's pretty darn good. There are the typical characters that make you mad, a few unexpected twists, and a good deal of TC spoken. This is especially good if you know a little Thai.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just ordered the Book on Amazon! Thanks!

    -羅俊智

    ReplyDelete
  3. No problem John. Let me know what you think of it!

    ReplyDelete