Thursday, March 3, 2011

Multilingual and Multigender in Singapore

 

 

 

There is something hilarious, familiar, and ingenious about the way Singaporeans speak, no? It's like the best of all the Singaporean languages, wrapped up in the perfect package. It's awesome, it combines the Mandarin that I learned in school, with the Teochew that I grew up with, the Hokkien and Cantonese that I listened to/watched in songs and movies, and the English that I use everyday. That just leaves the Malay, Tamil (and other Indian languages), and of course the Hainanese. It's like a multilingual treat every time I watch a Singaporean film. So here is another one:

From Singaporean Director Han Yew Kwang is an interesting gender-bender film, 《当海南遇上潮州》 "When Hainan Meets Teochew ". Released in December of last year (a whole three months ago), the stars are a 'manly woman' and a 'womanly man' who fall in love. Yes, the movie is a comedy, and no, its not boring. I admit that I haven't seen it yet, but c'mon, check out the teasers/trailers. Has to be funny. My favorite trailer is no. 2. (the middle one). Oh and apparently there's a good deal of Teochew (and Hainanese) spoken in the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment